Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Act V Scene v King Lear

King Lear: Act I Scene v
Study Questions

In this scene Lear is leaving Goneril’s castle and readying himself to go to Regan’s castle. He sends Kent with a letter to inform her that he will be arriving soon. This leaves Lear alone with the Fool. Lear is distracted and his thinking is splintered as we can see since he changes topics often. It is a hint that he is beginning to go mad.

1. Explain the importance of the following quote from this scene:

Lear “I did her wrong” (I v 24)

Lear “ To take ‘t again perforce – Monsster ingratitude!” (I v 38)

2. Take a closer look at the fools jokes. What is he actually saying or meaning when he says…

“Thou canst tell why one’s nose stands I’ th’ middle on’s face?”

“I can tell why a snail has a house.”

No comments:

Post a Comment