Thursday, March 19, 2009

King Lear Act IV Scene vii Study Guide

King Lear Act IV Scene vii
Study Guide

1. As Lear sleeps, Cordelia speaks to him and says, “…Mine enemy’s dog, though he had bit me, should have stood that night against my fire…” IV vii 36-39.

What does she mean when she says this?

Why does she say it?

2. Lear says,
Be your tears wet? Yes, faith. I pray weep not.
If you have poison for me, I will drink it.
I know you do not love me; for your sisters
have, as I do remember, done me wrong.
You have some cause, they have not. IV vii

Explain how Lear is feeling now…

About himself…

About Goneril and Regan…

About Cordelia…

3. By the end of this scene there is a change that has come about in Lear. Explain what that change is and how or why you think it occurred.

4. According to the discussion in this scene, who is in charge of Cornwall’s army?

No comments:

Post a Comment